Sunday, June 3, 2012

New Cree Keyboards

I’ve put up 4 new Cree keyboards. They’re of the “one key - one character” variety which I find myself liking more and more. The “type in Roman, get syllabic output” keyboards have ended up being clunkier than I’d like (though I’ll get around to fixing them) and they are only useful if you know Roman Orthography, which many speakers do not.

Similar keyboards for other languages are on the way.

Thinking back to last post... On second thought, I'll keep:
  • the dot-on-top (for long vowels) ᐄ ᑑ ᑳ 
  • the ring-on-top (for Moose Cree y-finals). ᢱ ᢷ ᢸ
  • and any other diacritics that are non-spacing
I tried out using the combining diacritics, and while it worked in some of my fonts, it decidedly did not work in the system font Euphemia. The dot diacritics ended up in bad places, the ring diacritics didn’t end up at all. Granted, Euphemia has not been updated to include the UCAS extended range.



So I'm back to using the on-top diacritics. It does make the keyboard design not quite as intuitive as I would have liked, the dot-on-top is a dead key so must be pressed first, before the base syllabic.

No comments:

Post a Comment